Looking for WordPress comment spam filter that makes your WordPress blog healthy? Knowing a few tips about Anti Spam and a couple of good WordPress plugins can save your life!
Spam comments are something we comment on other’s posts with rubbish, completely irrelevant to the topic and with sheer intention of getting backlinks. It can be simply a list of links as comment text or some commercial keyword as name and ‘Nice post’ as comment.
Though we expect higher ranking with backlinks obtained, it ruins and degrades the value of useful and high quality content on that page. The page turns into useless collection of irrelevant keywords.
Spam Comment Filter
If you are a blogger getting hundreds of spam comments everyday, how would you feel? Won’t you look for some spam filter to make your blog cleaner and more useful?
We’ve already devised a number of methods to fight against these spammers. A few of them can be counted as:
- Adding NOFOLLOW attribute on user entered links (Google taught us that way) with a hope that the spammers will consider the the link back useless and spare us
- Implement Image Captcha and expected that automated software can’t read the numbers and characters in image and won’t be able to post comment.
- Added extra box to enter the value of simple calculations. Machines won’t know what operation is required and stop the spam comments.
- Creating huge database of spammers and sharing among bloggers. The system will check the comment poster against the blacklist and block them.
After having all these technologies and smart methods, are we free from spam comments?
Why are you still searching for better comment spam filter?
Some Popular Anti Spam Plugins
I’ve installed Akismet. It’s truly a nice plugin but the hell with false positive. Moreover many friends complain that it eats comments – hungry devil!
GASP is far more reliable WordPress plugin I’m using till now. There are still a few spam comments entering into my Eden. I wonder how they passed through.
Chetan Bhawani has a great post to introduce 6 Best Anti-spam plugins for WordPress blogs. Don’t forget to check that post if you wish to compare different available plugins.
Well, these were the worries till now. I found a new plugin that works totally different than what we were practicing. The plugin is named:
Spam Free WordPress
The name looks very bold, isn’t it? You’ll smell it even bolder to read its features. Lets look at its features:
- Automatically blocks 100% of automated comment spam
- Local manual spam and ban policy set with local IP address blocklist
- Global manual spam and ban policy set with remote IP address blocklist
- Significantly reduces database load compared to other spam plugins
- Zero false positives
- Option to strip HTML from comments
- Saves time and money by eliminating the need to empty the comment spam folder
That’s pretty awesome! Does it not sound too good to be true?
Well, to try it and test its claims, I’ve installed in my blog Bivori.com. You can read more about this plugin, download it, and a get link to solve any issue if you encountered from my recent post in Bivori. Click the link below to visit and read:
Are you suffering from spam comments? What plugin you are using to filter spam comments? Would consider changing the plugin to this one?