Graph Search is a special tool with enables people to derive answers to their queries on people, places, photos and interests. It is also a way to provide users with all search results on Facebook while it is specially customized to enable social profile based on the same.
This new project was led by Lars Rasmussen – of WAVE Application and Google Maps. Graph Search is currently available only in English and users can search for only a preset content on Facebook. It is only in the next couple of months that Posts and Open Graph actions will be made available.
Besides for individual and personal use, Facebook also brings to the fore ways in which people can portray and expand their business using Graph Search. Facebook indicates that information about people with regards to their name, category and other factors will assist in others knowing more about them and their business propositions. Businesses located in a particular area, update of addresses and proper indexing is necessary to steer some searchers in that direction. It also acts as a magnet for attracting the right type of customers to that page and permitting further interaction.
There are two ways to get information about people:
- News Feed – which is a way of giving people information about what is happening in the world around you, while
- Timeline – is the way in which users learn more about a specific person
There are four elements of Graph Search. These include the following:
- People – Graph Search enables users to search for what is socially linked. This kind of Search permits users to find friends and friends of friends. This is totally protected and enables one to only limit the search for items or people usually seen on Facebook. It does not permit any unsolicited search or voluntary search of any sort.
- Photos – Following the introduction of Graph Search, it is now possible to search for ‘photos I like’. It also permits users to like and tag photos that have been posted.
- Places – This facility only permits the use of photos that friends or friends of friends wish to share with you. Once can search for photos and have access to a large number of photos in a special category.This feature is what also assists advertisers in the fact that they directly target advertisements based on these same photos and precise places of interest. Restaurant, main tourist attractions and the like are easily accessed through this Graph Search.
- Interest – Special TV shows or documentaries, movies, games, music, etc., that friends like can be brought to the fore, through this special feature of Graph Search.
How exactly does one go about Graph Search? Users will need to type the search in the blue bar at head of the page. Immediately on typing, suggestions are given in drop boxes and users are able to refine the search using suitable tools on the right hand side of the page. Graph Search is being offered only to a limited number of users of Facebook in the US and that too only in English. To sign up for the wait list one will need to log onto http://www.facebook.com/about/graphsearch.
Graph Search does not tamper with current privacy settings and permits search for content that has already been shared with you.