Social media marketing is the method of marketing using web sites like Facebook, Twitter or YouTube. These sites enable people to interact in a personalized manner which cannot be achieved with conventional marketing. Till date, there have been continuous changes in social media and this trend will continue in 2013 also. Hence it is important that companies perfect their social marketing skills to mirror present trends.
Whether one likes it or not, social media is here to stay. Though most businesses are still cautious about using this method of marketing, good social media marketing approaches have been used by many businesses to increase their sales and connect to more people. While there are many ways in which one can use social media more efficiently, there are some simple social media mistakes that need to be avoided:
- Not planning – The social media marketer should know what he/she intends to achieve with social media marketing. In order to avoid losing track of one’s goal, one should make a schedule to follow one’s social campaign diligently.
- Not checking the performance – One should continuously monitor the marketing campaigns to check if they are working and arrange for any replacement if required.
- Not making use of the changing trends – Social marketers should be flexible and be ready to endeavor into new types of campaigns, like creating content suitable for smartphones and tablets.
- Not interacting with the clients – Social media is considered to be a personal marketing. Many customers make use of social media sites to address customer service issues. Solving the customer’s problems through social media will earn respect and loyalty for the brand, while giving a personalized feel to the customers.
- Not giving personal space to customers – Posting too much content on the social media site intimidates the customers. Posting content 4-5 times a day ensures that people that follow one’s brand will see the post and at the same time be satisfied with the information.
- Not being active on the social network – One should keep the customers regularly updated about one’s products and services and developments in one’s business.
- Not posting relevant information – Provide only information which will be of benefit to one’s business.
- Not promoting others – People use social media to network, socialize and share their likes. So stop talking about oneself only and converse with people. This will help businesses and customers can understand each other better.
- Not being diplomatic – Avoid negative or personal remarks as every remark that one makes mirrors one’s attitude, which in turn affects one’s business.
- Not visiting other websites – Avoid waiting for people to visit one’s web site. Interact with people on other web sites and become acquainted with them.
- Not using variety – Use various types of messages like videos, podcast, blog posts, chatting, etc. to communicate on the social networking sites.
In conclusion, in order to create a successful social media network, one should reach out to one’s fans, respond to their queries and build associations with them because the people who follow social media are real people. When one interacts with customers, one can build brand loyalty easily.